Friday, June 29, 2012

June 29, 2012- Laughter in the NICU

Today, Will is 35 weeks!  After a day like yesterday, Will and I needed to have a good day.  What a day we had!  Will gained 3 ounces yesterday so that was a good starting point.  When I arrived to the NICU this morning, I found out that the day doctor had stopped Will's steroids because he wasn't convinced that they worked, and he didn't want Will to run the risk of the side effects of the steroids.  Will's respiratory status had been stable for a few hours and he looked great when I arrived.  He was breathing easier and looked more comfortable.  Will and I made an attempt at nursing around 11:30, and he did great!  He nursed for about 13-15 minutes.  This qualified as an entire feeding!  He fell right asleep after nursing and slept for 3 hours until his next cares time.  While he slept, I put Will back in his crib where yesterday, he seemed really uncomfortable and today he did great!  He wasn't arching his back or really squirming around.  Throughout the entire day, Will's respiratory status was really stable.  His respiratory rate was in the normal range, his percentage of oxygen was about 27% which was better then the 35% from yesterday.  I was so thrilled with Will's progress throughout the day.

Around 5pm, a half hour before his next feeding time, Will was awake and acting so hungry.  The nurse said that since he was interested in eating that I could try and nurse him at that time instead of waiting until 8:30pm.  Will latched right on and nursed for over 15 minutes!  This was the first time he nursed twice in one day.  If he gains weight tonight, he will have passed day one of two of stage one in the feeding stages.  I can't wait to find out if he gains weight.  What a great day!
1960 4lbs 5oz 27-32


So I guess you are wondering when the laughter comes in.  Well, whenever we do Will's cares, we take his temperature, change his diaper and either nurse him or feed him through his feeding tube.  A couple of the times I changed Will's diaper, he would immediately poop in the clean diaper.  I was just happy that he was diapered before he decided to poop.  Well, our luck changed slightly on the last diaper.  Brandon and I changed Will at 5:30 before I nursed him.  While I was nursing him, Will decided to poop in his nice clean diaper.  When I finished nursing him, I changed Will's diaper.  I put on the new diaper and was getting ready to put some diaper rash cream, when Will decided to pee!  He peed all over his chest and all I could do was laugh.  Will was shocked by what he had just done, and Brandon and I just laughed and laughed!  We finally composed ourselves and cleaned Will up and put a new outfit on him.  Will was now wide awake staring at us with his hiccups.  He looked so pitiful and sad that he peed on himself and had the hiccups.  Of course, it was the time we had to leave the NICU since it closes from 6:30-7:30.  I felt so bad leaving him, but his awesome nurse scooped him up and held him while she finished charting.  I knew that I was leaving him in good hands. 

Well, I just spoke with Will's night nurse and she gave us the news that Will lost some weight.  He is now 1960 grams which is 4 pounds 5 ounces.  It is a little disappointing because we haven't passed day one of stage one of feeding, BUT Will had a great day.  He is starting to get the whole nursing thing and he was stable on his oxygen.  Plus, we figured that Will might lose some weight when he had 2 nights of great weight gain.  I have to remember, small steps for a small baby!  We can't ask too much of our little man.  Tomorrow is a new day with new chances to nurse and gain weight!

1 comment:

  1. As I was the friend that you saw tonight visiting my sweet nephew in the NICU, can I just tell you THANK YOU SO MUCH for your kind, caring words to my brother-in-law. You have no idea (or maybe you do from experience)what a help and relief it was for him to be able to speak to another NICU parent. I went back to my sister-in-laws room and told her everything that you had told me about your experience, and she said that it was so nice for her to feel like her feelings and fears were normal. As soon as I found out where my nephew was being born, I told my brother and sister-in-law that I had an amazing, strong friend going through the same thing that they were, and that I had to get you guys in contact with each other, because I knew what a help you would be to them. I was so disappointed to get there tonight later than I had wanted to, hoping that I would run into you. Then, as I was sitting outside the NICU doors with my husband, waiting for our turn to go see our nephew, I happened to look down the hall, and here you came! I could have cried!! Then you spoke to my brother-in-law so kindly and gave him your words of wisdom and wonderful suggestions, I couldn't have hoped for a better experience. Afterwards, I felt so bad that we had taken so much of your time away with your precious son. I cannot express how much we appreciated it, and how much your words helped my brother and sister-in-law. Thanks again! You are an amazing friend!

    ReplyDelete