Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June 19, 2012- High Flow Oxygen

Last night when Brandon called the NICU, we found out that Will didn't gain any weight, BUT he didn't lose any weight.  We have to look at the bright side.  Today, when Brandon and I went to the NICU, we found Will asleep in his incubator.  He was still on 3 liters of high flow oxygen and he was receiving his feedings of 31ml.  We missed rounds, but the nurse said that the doctor wanted to wean Will's oxygen to 2 Liters high flow at some point during the day.  
For those that haven't seen high flow oxygen, let me take a moment to explain the device that is attached to my son.  First, he has a nasal cannula in his nose that is supposed to completely occlude his little nose.  Next, the cannula is attached to a blue tube that is connected to warm water.  Finally, it is all connected to blended air and oxygen that is humidified by the water.   Now, this sounds like a great piece of equipment that helps my little one breathe a little easier, but it is also an annoying piece of equipment because water from the blue tube sometimes dumps water into Will's nose.  My poor little guy gets water up his nose and we have to suction out his nose.  Brandon and I can't wait for him to be off the high flow so he won't have water go up his nose.  My poor little guy!
We did have one exciting thing happen today.  Will's belly button stump came off today!  I was putting Will back in his incubator when Brandon yelped with surprise.  It scared me to death because I thought something was wrong, but Brandon said to look at his belly button.  When I looked down, I saw that his nasty dried up umbilical cord had finally fallen off!  I was so excited because, I have to admit the dried up stump grosses me out.  Also, it means that Will can have a full bath, not just a sponge bath. and he needs it!  I was holding him this afternoon, and I realized that my sweet little boy smelled like an incubator.  He needs a bath to smell like my sweet little baby.  Maybe I can give him one tomorrow.
Brandon called the NICU again tonight for our nightly update.  The nurse will be turning down the oxygen to 2 Liters since Will has been doing well this evening.  Also, Will gained another 2 oz!  He now weighs 3 pounds 12 ounces!  We are 4 more ounces away from Will graduating from his incubator to an open crib!  Once he is in an open crib, we can dress him, hold him more often and he can try and give him feedings by mouth.  We are hoping that he will graduate by the weekend or by the end of the weekend. 



No comments:

Post a Comment