Thursday, June 14, 2012

June 14, 2012- We set a new record!

Brandon called the NICU last night and Will's oxygen need had gone down to 0.5 Liters on a regular nasal cannula and he had gained weight!  We were so excited and I couldn't wait to go see him this morning.  We went and saw Will this morning so we could attend rounds and so my mom could say goodbye before she flew back to South Carolina.  We arrived in time for rounds where Will's team of doctors, nurses, dietician, etc all meet.  Dr. King said that we had set a record for how fast Will's oxygen was weaned!  He wanted to keep Will on the 0.5 Liters today so we didn't rush his progress.  He also said that we may be able to take Will home sooner rather than later.  I was so encouraged after rounds, but in my head I know that we could still be looking at going home closer to Will's due date in August.  As my dad said, this is a marathon not a sprint. 
Will's nurse told me that we could do some non nutritive sucking today which means that Will could practice nursing but not receive any breast milk.  What happens is, I go and pump and then we see if Will will latch on and suck, but not receive any milk.  This lets him practice nursing without getting milk.  We practiced this afternoon, and Will sucked a little, but then he fell asleep.  He's a little lazy.  Brandon and I both held him again today and kept him out of his incubator for about 90 minutes again.  He is doing so well staying out of his incubator and keeping his vitals stable. 
Brandon, his parents and I went back to the hospital tonight after dinner.  Brandon and I did Will's cares and then we held him for the second time today.  This is the first time we have taken Will out twice in one day.  Will did pretty well and we held him for about an hour tonight.  Will also gained more weight and weighs 3 pounds 4 ounces.  This equals out to be 1480 grams.  When he weighs 1800 grams or 4 pounds, he can get out of his incubator and move into an open top crib.  Once he is in an open top crib, we can hold him more and other people can hold him!
Brandon and I are so encouraged by Will's progress everyday.  We can't wait to see what happens tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment