Wednesday, June 20, 2012

June 20, 2012- First Full Bath

Again today, I made it to the hospital in time for rounds with Will's medical team.  Will's doctor wanted to try and wean Will's oxygen from 2 liters to 1.5 liters.  He was happy with Will's weight gain and wanted to continue with his same feedings.  After rounds, I was talking with Will's nurse who happens to be his favorite nurse, and she told me that Will had not had a bath in 9 days!  No wonder he was smelly yesterday!  His nurse said that we could give Will a full submerged bath since his umbilical cord had fallen off yesterday.  Brandon and I were so excited.  
Brandon and I gave Will a bath, and he was so mad!  He normally is a laid back baby, but during his bath, he was so mad!  I have never heard him cry so hard and so long!  Will finally stopped crying when I was washing his back, and I'd like to think it's because I am great at giving baths, but I think he was so tired that he stopped crying.  
The bad news is that after Will's bath, he needed more oxygen.  We think that he was over stimulated and that caused him to need his oxygen turned up to 2 liters.  Brandon and I put him back in his incubator and let him calm down.  We went back to the hospital this evening to hold Will, and he did great with holding.  I think that after he had the afternoon to calm down, he was ready for us to cuddle him tonight.  He was still on his 2 liters, but he was breathing comfortably.  Also, Will was weighed tonight and he gained 15 grams.  He is still 3 pounds 12 ounces, but he is almost 3 pounds 13 ounces.  He just needs to gain 4 more ounces and he will be in an open top crib!   



No comments:

Post a Comment