Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 8, 2012- Happy Anniversary




Today is my first wedding anniversary.  When I thought about this day, I never imagined spending it in the NICU, but days in the NICU have become my life.  My days consist of waking up at 8am, pumping, showering and drive to the NICU.  I sit and hold Will all day and we wait for Brandon to come keep us company.  So even though today was a special day for Brandon and I, it ended up like every other day except we had a nice dinner at P.F. Chang's.  I hate leaving the NICU early, ,but it was nice to go spend time with my wonderful husband. 

Will gave us a couple of nice anniversary gifts today; he weaned his oxygen and gained weight.  First, when I arrived, I asked the nurse and the nurse practitioner about weaning Will's oxygen.  He had been on 1 Liter since last Tuesday and he was doing great.  As I have said before, I keep hearing that it is good to wean Will's oxygen percentage is less than 30% and I have also heard that he needs to be at 21%.  I really just wanted an answer and the chance to wean his oxygen.  The nurse and nurse practitioner agreed to wean him to 0.75 Liters of oxygen and he did great!  His oxygen percentage was between 21%-27%!  He really only needed more oxygen when he received his feedings through his feeding tube.  My little guy is getting so good at oral feedings that he doesn't like getting his feedings in his tube anymore!  Now he needs to pass stage 3 so he can have more feedings orally and only one feeding per shift in his tube!  He is getting to be such a big boy!

So far Will is almost ready to pass stage 2!  He took two complete feedings from me, one from the nurse tonight and he gained weight!  Will gained 40 grams for a total of 2240 grams which is 4 pounds 15 ounces!  If Will can take one more bottle tonight, he will move onto stage 3.  This will allow him to take 6 out of his 8 feedings a day, orally.  He will only need 2 feedings in his feeding tube.  This stage lasts for 24 hours and if he passes stage 3, he can move on to stage 4 which is all oral feedings on demand.  I can't wait for this stage!  Fingers crossed that he can finish stage 2 tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment