Sunday, July 1, 2012

July 1, 2012- Making Small Strides

Once again, I was privileged to spend the day snuggling my sweet little baby.  I went in to the hospital this morning to attempt to feed Will.  It took him about 20 minutes to figure out what to do, but he nursed!  He nursed for about 12 minutes and that was his entire feeding.  After he nursed, he passed out on me and slept for an hour or so until I put him back in his crib.  He seemed a little annoyed that I put him in his crib, but he quickly calmed down and slept.  Will's oxygen stayed stable the entire time I was there next to him.  He was still on 2 Liters high flow, but he was breathing easily and comfortably.  It was so nice to see him be so comfortable.  
Later on in the day, Will had some visitors come by.  He had his Uncle Shawn and cousins, Nic, Lacie and Justin.  They were all able to snuggle him and Will did great with all the holding.  It was during this time that the doctors decided to try and wean Will's oxygen 1.5 Liters and he did great holding his own even with everyone holding him.  

After everyone left, I tried to nurse Will again, but he was too tired to nurse.  He laid with me and smiled at me instead of nursing.  Since Will was not successful with the nursing, he had his milk fed to him through his feeding tube.  Will did great with the feeding even with his new oxygen levels.  He never desatted and his respirations didn't increase.  This is a great step in moving forward with his oxygen weaning.  Brandon and I are so proud of our sweet son!




HOLY COW, Brandon just called the NICU and Will gained 85 grams.  He weighs 2105 which equals out to 4 pounds 10 ounces!  He also is doing great with his lower oxygen!  The nurse said that his breathing was a little fast when she put him on the scale, but that he calmed down when he was dressed and back in bed.  I am so so proud of my little guy.  I can't wait to see him in the morning. 

1 comment: