Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 11, 2012- Light at the End of the Tunnel

Finally, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!  I made it to the NICU in time for rounds this morning, and the doctor used the word 'discharge'!  I knew it was coming, but to hear the doctor say it, means that it really really is coming true!  I was so excited that tears of joy came to my eyes as I went back to Will's room and held him. 


Before we can go home, Will still has a few tests to pass.  He has to continue to feed everything by mouth and not the tube.  Check.  He has to gain weight. Check. Last, he has to pass his eye exam. TBD.  Will's eye exam will be tomorrow sometime, I hope in the morning, but we have no control when the doctor will come in.  
Today, Will did great nursing and did okay with his bottle.  Unfortunately, Brandon was not able to come to the hospital today so it was my job to give Will his bottle.  I have to say, Brandon is way better at giving Will the bottle than I am, but Will finished the bottle.  Will also did great with his oxygen today.  His flow was decreased to 0.5 Liters and his percentage of oxygen ranged from 21%-23%.  He really is getting better!  He is learning to coordinate his breathing with his eating, and he is so good at stopping when he's eating to take a breath.  He's my little big man!
Finally, Will gained weight.  He gained another 15 grams.  He is still hanging out right above the 5 pound mark.  I don't even think I can give him credit for an ounce, but hey, I will take 15 grams.  At least he gained weight. 
I can't even begin to explain how excited Brandon and I are at the thought of taking Will home in the next few days.  We have been running around getting Will's room ready, washing his clothes and making sure his car seat is ready to go.  I hope in the next few days, I will be able to put into words how excited and scared I really am at the thought of finally taking my son home and becoming a real family in our home. 

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited for u guys. I cannot believe what u have been through. Congratulations. I wish u and your family the best of luck. he is still adorable and looks stronger everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on the LDS/IMC NICU support group on facebook. I have been reading your story.. Its alot like mine. I have two boys, and currently preg with our third. My first was born at exactly 32 weeks and spent 5 weeks in the NICU my second was born at 34 weeks and spent 2 weeks in the NICU. All due to me having preeclampsia ;/ I am on bedrest right now with our third in hopes to make it to 36 weeks this time. I keep meaning to tell you that it seems once they get the feeding down everything else comes into play and it all seems to "click" itleast it did with my boys! they came home at 37 and 36 weeks :) This is very exciting news for you and little Will! You will have your baby home sooner then you know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seemed to take my little guy some time, but it was definitely neat to see it all click for him. Good luck with this pregnancy. I hope you can make it to 36 weeks. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete